According to Worksafe NZ, “Hazardous substances are a major contributor to the estimated 600-900 deaths and 30,000 cases of serious ill health from work-related disease each year in New Zealand”.
There are three common ways that hazardous substances enter the body:
- Inhalation – breathing airborne contaminants into the respiratory system
- Absorption – through contact with skin and eyes
- Ingestion – consuming hazardous substances into the digestive system
Dalton International offers an extensive range of top quality personal protective brands from world renowned manufacturers that meet strict EU and AS/NZ Standards.
Our respiratory protection range includes negative pressure half and full-face masks and filters from Shigematsu, Japan’s leading respiratory manufacturer. Positive pressure respiratory solutions including Powered Air Purifying Respirators (PAPR) and Airline from Shigemastu and CleanAir.
To avoid absorption of hazardous substances through the skin we offer chemical protective apparel from our own brand SureShield, as well as Ansell Body Protection and Ansell Protective Solutions for the high-end gas tight suits. Disposable gloves and specialty chemical protective gloves are also available.
Chemical protective eye and face protection ensures chemical splashes don’t cause damage to sensitive eyes.
Because different chemicals have very different physiochemical properties and not all protective equipment will protect against all chemicals. It’s important you choose the correct PPE for the chemicals your workers are potentially exposed to. When choosing the correct HAZCHEM PPE you will need to consider:
- Does the PPE offer protection against the hazardous substances we’re exposed to?
- What level of exposure is expected and what is the nature of the exposure?
- What are the limitations of the PPE and do your staff understand these?
- What training on the selection, use and maintenance of PPE is required?
- How often does the PPE need to be changed?
If it all seems a bit confusing, don’t worry, our highly trained and experienced team, can provide advice on the best solution for your needs to ensure your workers are protected and you can get on with your business.
To get started you can have a look at the products and videos we’ve listed here. You can also download our Chemical Protective Apparel and Respiratory Protection catalogues, which gives you an overview of some of the most common solutions.
To speak with one of the team about your HAZCHEM PPE needs give us a call on 0800 323 223 or use the chat function on the bottom right of our webpage.