Secondary Containment (a.k.a Spill Containment), is the containment of hazardous liquids to prevent harm to people and the environment. Secondary containment solutions come in many forms such as spill pallets, spill decks, portable containment bunds, drive over bunding and more. What they’re all trying to do is stop spills or leaks from the primary container spreading, as these can pose a variety of risks, including:
- Slip risks
- Contamination risks to soil or water
- Fire risks as flammable liquids approach ignition sources
- Corrosion risks to eyes, skin or metal
- Chemical reaction risks if two incompatible substances mix
When deciding on your secondary containment solution you will need to consider:
- What hazardous substances you’re trying to contain (hazard class)?
- What size containers are your storing / using (5L, 20L, 60L, 208L, 1000L etc)?
- Where will these be stored (inside, outside, within an existing contained area)?
- How much containment do you need (10%, 25%, 100% or more)?
- How will you get the containers in and out of the containment area?
- Will you be decanting from the containment area or is it just for storage?
- Is your containment bund compatible with the substances they are supposed to contain?
If it all seems a bit confusing, don’t worry, our highly trained and experienced team, can provide advice on the best solution for your needs to ensure you are compliant and can get on with your business.
To get started you can have a look at the products and videos we’ve listed here. You can also download our secondary containment catalogue, which gives you an overview of some of the most common solutions.
To speak with one of the team about your Secondary Containment needs give us a call on 0800 323 223 or use the chat function on the bottom right of our webpage. Ask us about coming to your site and doing a site storage risk assessment.
- Hazchem Storage
- Hazchem PPE
- Hazchem Response
- Hazchem Signage
- Other Products