Ultra-Overpack Salvage Drums – Two Types of Drum in One
What’s the difference between an “Overpack” and a “Salvage Drum”, and more importantly why do you need to know?
Let’s start with the second part of that question first. If you work with hazardous substances, then you’ll know that sometimes you need to transport substances that are incompatible and cannot be mixed with other substances. For example, oxidisers should be kept away from flammable liquids. This is where an “overpack” comes in handy as it allows you to place one substance inside a sealed container and avoid any chance of incompatible substances coming in to contact. Alternatively, if you have a leaking drum of a hazardous substance you will want to put this into a secure “salvage drum” and fill the drum with absorbent to contain the leaking liquid.
Put simply, overpacks are used to protect non-leaking packages and salvage drums are used with leaking or defective containers.
Salvage drums look almost identical to overpacks, but they are stronger and meet even more stringent performance requirements than overpacks. When containers are placed in salvage drums, they must be surrounded with absorbents that can soak up any leaks that could occur during shipment.
To make things a little more confusing the Ultra-Overpack Salvage Drums can be both! All the models stocked in New Zealand (76L, 247L and 360L) meet the standard for salvage drums for use with all three packing groups I, II & III.
Here’s a couple of key features you may not have known about:
- The 360L Overpack Salvage Drum is designed to hold 205L drums.
- It’s oversized so you have room to add absorbents if it’s being used as a salvage drum.
- It’s made from 100% polyethylene so is compatible with a wide variety of chemicals.
- All overpacks are designed to be nestable, saving space when not in use.
- No tools are required to open and close the screw top lid. However, there are notches in the lid that allow you to use a piece of 2×4 across the top to get a bit of extra torque during closing.
- Forklift forks can be placed under the widest part of the Ultra-Overpack Salvage Drum to allow easy movement, even when full.
- The 247L Overpack Salvage Drum is designed to hold 60L drums.
- It’s the little brother of the 360L with the same design and features.
- The 76L Overpack Salvage Drum is designed for smaller containers such as 20L jerry cans or smaller. It has a couple of unique features in addition to the standard 100% polyethylene construction, nestable design and screw top lid. These include:
- Special holes in the allow it to be tightened using a broom or shovel handle
- Moulded foothold provides additional leverage point.
- Drums have built-in slots — Use with zip ties for added tamper resistance.
We’ve touched on a couple of applications already, but ultimately these are very versatile products that can be used in all sorts of ways.
Here’s a couple of ideas to get you started:
- Overpacking of damaged or leaking packages
- Collection and transport of soiled sorbents
- Clean-up of contaminated sites
- Emergency response and decontamination
- Direct containment and transport of hazardous solids
- Segregation of hazardous substances for transport
- Spill kits
And because these are made by UltraTech International Inc they come with the industries strongest warranty – Five (5) years against any material or workmanship defects. You can find out more about our Ultra-Overpack Salvage Drums by clicking here.